Wednesday 15 December 2021

MEMORIES OF DAYS PAST

 

MEMORIES OF DAYS PAST

Thoughts of days past.

Memories of years gone by.

All the years of hurt grate my heart

Coarse, callous grating and grinding.

My soul tangled in a mesh of sorrow and regrets.

 

Memories of the bottle haunt me,

Innumerable days spent on hedonistic intoxication,

A world ruled by hedone.

Memories of pain borne of pleasure,

Memories best forgotten but can’t be.

 

If only I would erase the memories,

Forget the past

Be reborn

If only, if only

The past would fade away

Like smoke blown by the wind.

 

In my sober rebirth,

Living a  day at a time,

Savouring the gift of sobriety,

I  trudge on, focus on the future,

Buoyed by new dreams,

Riding new found hope,

Working days of recovery,

Glad of sobriety

But never to forget,

The darkness of the past

Looming darkness, always lurking

Always waiting to pounce.

 

©S.K. KYENZE

12/10/2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment