Saturday 23 October 2021

CONVERSATIONS WITH MWANANCHI

 

CONVERSATIONS WITH MWANANCHI

Dare not demand for more mwananchi

Have you not embraced your place by now?

Desire no more mwananchi

Don’t you ever sate?

Today is my turn

And the future belongs to the youth.

 

Yes, I acquired another wife

Just like you and your ilk should

Mwananchi it’s not for carnal pleasure

That I got married.

The future- of your kind, the future of your own

The future of your children, the future lying in numbers and votes,

Us against them,

A battle of votes borne of children,

Marry, let’s marry mwananchi.s

 

Mwananchi, why does my fuel guzzler gall you?

Does a big car, for a big mheshimiwa;

A big car for a big office irk you?

Mwananchi, you sent me to a big office

To wrestle with big men-

And bring home our share of the national cake.

So you see-

I need a big car, for the big job.

The job you assigned me mwananchi.

 

Mwananchi I have heard the grapevine

Your whining over my fat salary has reached me

Mwananchi, yet you and yours live on my salary;

 ‘mheshimiwa, my daughters school fees…,’

 

‘mheshimiwa, my son’s boda boda…,’

‘mheshimiwa, my mother’s burial…’

‘mheshimiwa this, mheshimiwa that…

Do I mint money mwananchi?

The fat salary you detest, funds your

Mheshimiwa this and mheshiwa that whining.

 

Mwananchi, why do you complain of development?

Did I not roof your local church?

When you go for prayers and miracles next, mwanachi

The roof, look at the roof, mabati emblazoned with my name

A true testament of my commitment to your God.

Pass by your local primary school,

A stately gate- an education on my commitment.

Go to your local market;  trade in your ignorance.

A brand new boda boda shed.

What more, what more mwananchi?

 

Now you see,

I know what befits you,

Be a sport and let me be,

I will fight for our community,

They have eaten far too long,

It’s our time to eat.

I will wrestle for us to get big cars,

Wrestle for more security,

Mwananchi, I am your person.

 

S. K. KYENZE  25/09/2021

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment