Saturday 5 August 2017

Mwenyenchi... the politics of Kenya

MWENYENCHI!
Wanjiku?
To that name I will no longer answer
I ascend to my rightful place
The high table, where I belong
I will be Wanjiku no more
I am the one
I too am citizen number one

No longer will I feast on salt less sukuma wiki
No more unsweetened tea for me
For I am told sugar is dear
No more bitter herbs of life
I too deserve better
I am Mwenyenchi

My scrawny buttocks
Are tired of sitting on a mass bench
That hard bench of lack and daily struggle
I am tired of empty promises
Tired of margarine poverty
I will no longer sit contented
For I a Mwenyenchi


I too will ride a sleek Mercedes
Black tinted windows
Air conditioning and leather seats
I will cross my legs sipping life
Enjoying the sweet things in life
Then I will roll down my window
Spit on your faces; throw up on your feet
For I am Mwenyenchi
And you, you are mwananchi.

I have learnt, albeit sadly
That I too was invited
But you shredded my invite
I will gatecrash the party
Bare my bony chest at the bouncers
Fill my hollow belly with air
I will snake my way in; I must
For I must take my place
My place at the high table
I too deserve the banquet

Wiping my snotty nose
With the sleeves of my rags
I will devour the delicacies
I will eat, vomit and fart
I will smile at your disapproving glances
Laugh at your shocked stares
For it is my land, my country
I am Mwenyenchi

From a distance I will hear
Hearken to fools chanting my new title
Scratching my smelly, unshaven armpits
I will surf the wave of success
The fools will chant
Mheshimiwa! Mheshimiwa! Mheshimiwa!
I will nod and smile knowingly
Thinking of the chanting sheep: Wanjiku

Exhausted and yawning
I will stagger to my appointed room
Pinch the nearest bum
She will smile at mheshimiwa
Her wedding ring notwithstanding
Stinky sweat, cologne to her
‘Oh! Mheshimiwa!’ she will moan
Then I will crush the linen with my weight
Fart loudly, a putrid stinker
Constipated by Wanjiku’s demands
Then drift off into Morpheus arms
Unfazed by bothersome Wanjiku
For I am  Mwenyenchi
And tomorrow
I will sign the new tender
That fellow Wenyenchi awarded me
To buy my silence.
07/06/17
S.K.Kyenze



No comments:

Post a Comment