Saturday 5 August 2017

I live a life of prayer

I LIVE A LIFE OF PRAYER
I am pious
I am always praying
Waking up scared and uncertain
For I forgot my torn boots by the door
Will I find them? “O let me do.” I pray
Then, I see them
A pair of poverty stricken existence markers
Relieved, I whisper, “Amen!”

Trained by my condition,
Uncertainty trailing me
I step into the communal bathroom
Extending a scared uncertain, hand
I turn the rusty tap,
“please let the water flow.” I murmur a prayer
Then,  water!
Water flows, cold, refreshing and gushing
Gratefully, I whisper, “Amen!”

Driven by nothing but sheer hope,
I walk towards the construction site,
The rising mammoth skyscraper is imposing.
The night watchman, like a hedgehog,
Unfurls from his sleep
With a slight push,
The creaky contraption of a gate yawns lazily open
“O let foreman pick me today?” I say a silent prayer
Then he does, I whisper, “Amen”

Weary and broken by hard work,
I trudge home, calloused soles and hurting torn boots
Has the landlord evicted me? 
I muse
Thrown my poverty out of his shack?
Eventually tired of my empty promises
Then I arrive home
A sigh of relief, no double padlocks on my door,
A prayer answered! “Amen”

Now you see,
Why I live a life of prayer
Marked by beacons of fear,
And existence spurred on by hope
And each one of them
Is a PRAYER
That without fail,
Ends with the word
AMEN

S.K . KYENZE

07/06/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment